Management of POPs including PCB Waste
In November 2011 Polyeco S.A. was awarded from United Nations Development Programme a contract for the Sustainable Management of Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) in Mauritius through international tendering procedures.
The project involved the provision of services for the remediation of soils contaminated with DDT and the destruction of POPs chemicals at the Fort George site, at Mahebourg, and Pamplemousses, DDT contaminated debris and PCB contaminated transformers. The main activities included:
- Provision of equipment and consumables
- Safe repackaging and labelling of the waste in accordance with ADR/IMDG requirements
- Remediation of the area with DDT contaminated soil
- Export of the waste to France in accordance with the specifications of the Basel Convention
- Destruction of waste at EU licensed hazardous waste incineration facilities
The projects were implemented in close cooperation with UNDP Mauritius, the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development and the Ministry of Local Government, Rodrigues and the Outer Islands in the Republic of Mauritius.
Management of Ethylene Oxide Cylinders
In March 2016 Polyeco S.A. was awarded from United Nations Development Programme a contract for the management of Ethylene Oxide (EtO) Cylinders in the area of Port Luis port.
EtO is a highly flammable hazardous material and despite the fact that was storage in an isolated area, its presence pose threat towards people and the environment.
The main activities included:
- Repackaging & Loading of EtO Cylinders in a Container
- Transportation and Custom Clearances
- Maritime Transportation according to IMDG specifications to Europe
- Disposal in hazardous waste licensed facilities in Europe