On Tuesday, November 7, a practical workshop on the management of hazardous waste in industries was organized in collaboration with Mauritius Export Association.
The workshop was held at hotel Palms Hotel, in Quatre-Bornes, and 30 HSE Managers, Production Managers and Experienced Environmental Engineers, from Chemical Laboratories, Agro-based, Paint, Textile, Chemical, Construction industries and Solid Waste Management Division officers participated in it.
Trainers were Mr. Stelios Vasiliou, Chemical Engineer, Senior Account Manager of Polyeco S.A. and Mr. Kostas Chatzatoglou, Country Manager - Mauritius, Polyeco S.A. and the subjects that were covered were:
- Properties of Hazardous Waste (Toxicity, Flammability etc.)
- Classification of Hazardous waste (UN Class, UN Number etc.)
- Identification and characterization of the waste
- Segregation and Proper Packaging (Categories of packing material, Coding of packing material, Packing group of Hazardous Substances)
- Storage at producer’s premises according to compatibility of the waste
- Wastes that are expected to be produced from the industries
- General Safety Instructions for handling hazardous waste (Appropriate PPE, Spill Kits, and Emergency Response for Spill etc.)